A permanent resident visa, the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa (subclass 187) is for skilled workers who want to work in regional Australia. This visa involves a two-step process:
- A nomination by an approved Australian employer
- An application under the nominated stream.
It is part of the Permanent Employer Sponsored Visa program.
You can be in or outside Australia when you apply. If you are in Australia, you must hold a substantive visa or a bridging visa A, B or C.
You can submit an expression of interest in case you do not have an employer nomination. This can be done through SkillSelect. Your submission of EOI can then be reviewed by prospective employers and state and territory governments to decide whether to nominate you for skilled migration.
It is mandatory to mention the stream for which you want to be considered for the nomination. Following are three streams for this visa:
- The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for two years, while holding a subclass 457 visa, in the same occupation with their nominating employer who wants to offer them a permanent position in that occupation.
- The Direct Entry stream is for people who have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream, people who have never, or only brieflyy, worked in Australia, temporary residents who do not qualify for the Temporary Residence Transition stream
- The Agreement stream is for people nominated by an employer through a labor agreement
Following are the basic requirements to be able to apply for this visa:
- You have been nominated by an approved Australian employer in regional Australia (outside of the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne) within six months before you apply
- You are under the age of 50 at time of application lodgment, unless you are exempt
- At the time of application, you have the required skills and qualifications for the position you have been nominated for
- You must hold any mandatory registration, license or professional membership, or you must already be fully assessed as suitable by the relevant body
- At the time of application, have appropriate English language skills for Temporary Residence Transition (TRT) stream and Direct Entry (DE) stream unless you are exempt
- You meet health and character requirements
- You meet the requirements of the stream in which you apply
You can include the following people in your visa application:
- Your partner (married or de facto)
- Your or your partner's dependent children
- Other dependent relatives
This visa allows you and your family to live in Australia and work permanently in a regional area. A regional area is comprised of any place other than the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong and Melbourne.
Upon the grant of this visa, you and any family members who have also been granted this visa can:
- Stay in Australia indefinitely
- Work and study in Australia
- Enroll in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
- Apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia)
Since, this is an employment-based visa, it is very important that you follow the rules and regulations associated with it.
The immigration department may cancel this visa, if you do not make a genuine effort to begin employment with your employer within six months of:
- Your first entry to Australia if you were granted this visa while you were outside of Australia; or
- If you were granted this visa while you were in Australia.
This visa may also get cancelled if you begin employment but do not remain in the position for the full two years.