Family Visa, Child Visa Onshore, Subclass 802

About Subclass 802

This visa allows a child who is in Australia to stay in Australia.

A Child visa (subclass 802) lets an eligible parent sponsor their child to live in Australia indefinitely. The parent can apply on behalf of a child younger than 18 years of age.

An eligible parent is:

  • An Australian citizen
  • The holder of an Australian permanent resident visa
  • An eligible New Zealand citizen

The child must be in Australia when the application is lodged and when the visa is granted.

You can sponsor a child if you are either:

  • 1. A step-parent who is no longer the partner of the child's parent but has a legal responsibility to care for the child and the child is younger than 18 years of age
  • 2. An adoptive parent who adopted the child before you became an Australian citizen, the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa, or eligible New Zealand citizen.

You do not need to be in Australia at the time of application. You can still be a sponsoring parent if you:

  • 1. Entered Australia in the past but are outside Australia when the application is lodged
  • 2. Have been granted your Australian permanent resident visa but have not yet entered Australia

Parental responsibility

In order to be granted this visa, you need to show one of the following for a child younger than 18 years of age:

  • You have the written consent of each person who can legally decide where the child lives
  • The laws of the child's home country permit the removal of the child
  • It is consistent with any Australian child order.

Since, it is about a child, immigration department takes extra care in granting this visa. This visa is not granted if it is found out that granting of this visa is not in the best interests of a child younger than 18 years of age.

Other requirements for this visa to be granted are:

  • Character requirements: You must meet certain character requirements. You must be prepared to provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age. You do not need to arrange for police certificates until asked for
  • An assurance support too is asked for the child so that welfare costs for some migrants are not borne by the Australian community. Though, this too needs to be provided when asked for

Sponsor obligations

As a sponsor you must:

  • Be responsible for the cost to the Australian Government of the child living in Australia
  • Provide adequate accommodation and enough financial support to meet the child's reasonable living needs for their first two years in Australia
  • Help the child settle in Australia
  • Support the child to attend any required English Language class
  • You must tell the immigration authority in writing if the child's circumstances change in a way that could affect the child's eligibility for a Child visa (subclass 802), or your eligibility to sponsor the child.

What this visa lets you do

This is a permanent residence visa. It allows the child to:

  • Stay in Australia indefinitely
  • Work and study in Australia
  • Enroll in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • Apply for Australian citizenship (if they are eligible)
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted - after that time they will need another visa to enter Australia

It is very important that you provide accurate documents as part of your application. A thorough look at the document checklist should help.

We at Aussizz help you understand the nitty-gritty of this visa. We also acquaint the child with the culture and ambience of Australia to make her immigration smoother and safer.

Feel free to get in touch with Aussizz.