The Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) is a visa for international students who have freshly graduated from an Australian education institution. It allows staying in Australia for up to four years, depending on the applicant's qualifications.
The Temporary Graduate Visa has two main streams:
Graduate work stream
- It is for eligible for international students who graduated with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
Post-study work stream
- It is for eligible international students graduated with a bachelor, masters or doctoral degree from an Australian education provider, regardless of the field of the study.
If you are applying as a main applicant, you and everybody else covered by the application must be in Australia during the assessment of the visa application.
Family members who are applying for this visa after the main applicant has been granted can either be or outside of Australia but not in the immigration clearance.
Your visa application must support evidence that you've met the English language requirement. It can be either of the following:
- A valid passport issued by the United States of America, the United Kingdom, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland that shows you are a citizen of that country.
- An overall score of at least 6 with a minimum score of 5 in each test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) with a test been undertaken three years prior to lodging the visa application.
- A score of at least 'B' in each of the four test components of an Occupational English Test (OET), which is taken three years prior to lodging the visa application.
- A total score of at least 64 with the minimum test score in each of the four test component, i.e. 4 in listening, 4 in reading, 14 in writing and 14 in speaking in a Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL), which is undertaken three years prior to lodging a visa application.
- An overall test score of at least 50 with a minimum score of 36 in each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in a Pearson Test of English (PTE)
- An overall test score of at least 169 with a minimum score of 154 in each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in a Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test that has been commenced on or after 1 January 2015 and prior to lodging the visa application.
Being a main applicant, you are required to hold an eligible visa to apply for this Temporary Graduate visa. You can meet this requirement if:
- You hold a student visa
- You are a family member of the main visa holder of this visa subclass
- You are the primary applicant who commenced a course or training under a scholarship scheme or training program approved by the Foreign Minister or the Defence Minister after being assured that you will leave Australia on the completion of the course.
- You are holding a substantive visa or Bridging visa A or Bridging visa B.
- Your eligible student visa was cancelled, but in the past 28 days the Migration Review Tribunal has notified you of a decision to substitute the Minister's decision of not revoking the cancellation.
You may not be considered if you:
- Had a visa application refused or cancelled since you last entered Australia (not in case of substantive visa holders)
- Have any condition on your current visa such as 'No further stay' conditions (numbers 8503, 8534, and 8535). If you have condition 8503 or 8534 attached to your visa, you can apply for the Temporary Graduate visa using paper form 1409 (633 KB PDF), which allow the applicant to have the condition relinquished.
To be eligible for this visa, you must:
Be younger than 50 years of age
- Hold an eligible Visa
- Have included evidence in your application that shows your English proficiency skills.
- Meet the Australian study requirement in the last six months
- Meet health and character requirements
- Have health insurance in Australia
- Meet the specific requirements of the stream in which you are applying for this visa
You will need to undergo some health examinations depending on the time spent by you in another country during the last five years, personal circumstances and your intended activities in Australia. The results you will provide are generally valid for 12 months.
When applying for the Temporary Graduate Visa, you are required to provide evidence that can prove you have appeared for an Australian Federal Police check 12 months prior to lodging a visa application. This applies to all the dependent family members in the visa application who are 16 years of age or older. During the assessment, the DIBP may ask you to provide a police certificate from each country you've lived in for 12 months or more (only after the applicant turned 16 years of age).
You and your dependent family members must have no outstanding debts or have arranged to repay any debts to the Australian Government before you apply for this visa.
Since you will be responsible for all the health costs while living in Australia, you must be covered by Medicare or have adequate health insurance. This insurance will provide the level of coverage required for the purpose of your stay. Your health insurer could either be in Australia or your home country. Not obtaining the adequate health insurance is one of the main reasons of getting the visa application refused or cancelled.
your health insurance must offer coverage before you lodge your application for the duration of the visa processing period and your stay on the visa.
you must provide a valid health insurance policy in the visa application. That insurance cover may commence from the time you arrive in Australia but must continue to be covered for the duration of your stay. In case, if you are eligible for Medicare under a reciprocal health care agreement, but unable to produce a Medicare card or receipt of enrolment, your existing health insurance can help you enrol with Medicare after you arrive in Australia.
If you are still on a student visa, OSHC allows you lodge a visa application for the Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485). However, if you no longer hold a student visa, you must have adequate health cover other OSHC before your visa application is finalised.
Graduate work stream:
- You must have nominated an occupation on the Skilled Occupation list
- Your visa application must include evidence that you've assessed by a relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation
- In case if your skills were assessed on the basis of a qualification obtained in Australia, when you were on your student visa, the qualification must have been obtained as a result of studying a CRICOS-registered course
- You have met the Australian study requirement in the past six months
- Any degree, diploma or trade qualification you got should be closely related to your nominated skilled occupation.
Post-study work stream:
- You hold an eligible qualification
- You must have applied or granted your student visa to Australia on or after 5th November 2011.
- Your qualification must be conferred by an Australian university or non-university education provider that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Courses and Institutions for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
- Your study for the qualifications has satisfied the Australian study requirement in the past six months.
You can include following family members in your visa application:
- Your partner (married or de facto)
- You or your partner's dependent children
- Other dependent relatives
Your family members must meet the health and character requirements and include documentary evidence of their relationship with you.
Post-study work stream is valid up to two or four years, depending on the qualification you used to apply for this visa.
- Bachelor Degree with Honours, Masters by Coursework Degree or Masters Degree is valid for two years.
- Masters by Research Degree is valid for three years
- The doctoral degree is valid for four years.
Since its foundation in 2009, Aussizz Group has represented thousands of clients with an exceptionally high success rate when it comes to migrating to Australia. We are one of the finest immigration and education consultancies in Australia committed to provide the most comprehensive, effective and efficient immigration services. Our services cover most languages and provide most innovative solutions to help through the ever-changing immigration rules, regulations and procedures.
Get in touch with us today to get started!