The Skilled-Independent visa (subclass 189) is a permanent residence visa for points-tested skilled workers who want to work and live in Australia.
To be able to apply for this visa you need to submit an expression of interest and then be invited through SkillSelect to apply.
If you are invited, you will have 60 days to apply online for the visa. During that time, you cannot change the information in your expression of interest.
In order to be eligible to submit a complete expression of interest, it is mandatory to have competent English language skills and a positive skills assessment for your nominated occupation (or Job Ready program, if applicable).
You can be in or outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted.
This is a points-test visa which means that you need to earn certain points against specified factors. At least 60 points are required to be eligible to apply this visa. Following are some factors that are assessed at the time when you are invited for this visa:
- English language ability
- Skilled employment
- Australian study requirement
- Other factors
- Nomination/sponsorship (where required)
There are many things to be assessed for each of these factors and based on that you earn the points, fulfillment of which plays a crucial role in granting of this visa.
Being a permanent residence visa, it lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa to:
- Stay in Australia indefinitely
- Work and study in Australia
- Enroll in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
- Apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
- Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
- Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).
- You must meet certain health requirements. The health examinations will depend on your personal circumstances, including your country of citizenship, time spent in another country during the last five years and your intended activities in Australia. The results of your health examinations are generally valid for 12 months.
- You must meet certain character requirements. You must provide a police certificate from each country you have lived in for 12 months or more during the past 10 years after you turned 16 years of age
- If you are 18 years of age or older, you must sign an Australian Values Statement to confirm that you will respect the Australian way of life and obey Australian laws
You can add following people in applying for this visa:
- Your partner (married or de facto)
- Your or your partner's dependent children
- Other dependent relatives
Your partner and dependent children to your application can be added at any time until your visa is decided.
While applying for this visa you may need to provide extensive documents justifying your claim to it. Also, you are expected to know what it is to live in Australia, its laws and regulation. It is therefore advisable to consult the experienced Australian immigration agent like Aussizz.
When you are sent an invitation letter for this visa, you must have:
- Nominated an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
- Obtained a suitable skills assessment for that occupation
- Not yet turned 50 years of age
- Achieved the score specified in your letter of invitation based on the factors in the points test at least competent English
We at Aussizz just do not aim for smooth visa application process; we also want you to be mentally prepared for the life and totally different culture that you may have to face while you land in Australia. Our years of extensive research, experience and expertise have earned us both credibility and respect among our clients.
Get in touch with us and see what we can do for your Australian immigration dreams.