Contributory Aged Parent Visa, Subclass 864

About Subclass 864

This subclass of parent visa too is of permanent nature. You can procure this visa if your child is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia. Aussizz is a one-stop solution for this and all other types of Australian visas.

What this visa lets you do

If you and any of your family members have been granted this permanent visa, you can

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • Travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Upon the granting of this visa, you will not be automatically eligible to receive the age pension or social security payments in Australia. You will have to wait:

  • Two years for most social security payments
  • Ten years for age and disability pension payments

However, there takes place a major change in your circumstances which are beyond your control; you may be qualified to receive a Special Benefit payment from the Department of Human Services. After the grant of your visa, if you receive any payments, it can be recovered through your assurance of support for up to ten years.

Visa costs

If you want to avail a concession on your visa application charge, you need to prove that one of the following applies to you:

  • You hold a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884)
  • You held a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884) in the 28 days immediately before applying for a Contributory Aged Parent visa (subclass 864)
  • You have previously held a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884) and can provide evidence that there are compassionate and compelling circumstances for you to be considered a holder of the temporary visa for the purposes of your permanent visa application.

Basic requirements

You might be able to get this visa if you hold a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884), or you:

  • are in Australia
  • are sponsored: In case, the child who sponsored you for your Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884) has died, you could be eligible for a sponsorship concession
  • Meet age requirements: Men must be older than 65 years of age to apply for this visa. For women, age limits differ depending on your birth time. If you are a woman who is a) born before 30 June 1947, you can apply at the age of 64; b) born between 1 July 1947 and 31 December 1948, you can apply when you are 64.5 years of age; c) born after 1 January 1949, you can apply when you turn 65.
  • Meet the balance-of-family test: In this you need to prove two things: a) at least half of your children live permanently in Australia; b) more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country. This condition cannot be waived even in most crucial circumstances
  • are prepared to pay higher visa application charges for faster processing
  • Meet health and character requirements

In case, you or your family members already have a Contributory Aged Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 884), you do not need to provide following evidence to substantiate the claims to this visa:

  • Evidence of balance-of-family test
  • Evidence of your family members financial dependency on you. You must disclose to the Immigration Department if any of your family members are no longer dependent on you

You need to provide documents only if your circumstances have changed.

We at Aussizz have an intense industry experience of filling up all these applications and providing accurate and exact documents to the Immigration Department. We take great care of our clients throughout the entire visa application process.

Get in touch with us and see what we can do for you!