Student Visa (Subclass 500)

Any student with this visa can easily apply for different full-time courses including Higher Education, Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses, English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS), admission in primary or secondary school and post graduate research degrees in a recognised education institution.

Enquire Now

Visa Eligibility Criteria:

  • Enrollment in a registered course of study:
    Applicants need to enroll in a course of study, which is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
  • Financial capacity:
    Applicants must have the legal evidence of their financial capacity that shows they are eligible to pay their course fees and living costs of their dependent family members.
  • English proficiency:
    It is mandatory to provide evidence of English language skills with the visa application or when asked by an officer otherwise the visa will be refused.
  • Closely controlled welfare arrangements for all the students under the age of 18:
    Students under 18 years of age should have evidence of organized welfare arrangements to stay in Australia.
  • Accompanying Family Members:
    Applicants and their family members can make a combined request in the student visa application or they can apply to join them later. It is essential to have the necessary funds on hand to support the accompanying family members living in Australia and also for those after the grant of the student visa (such as new born baby).
  • Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement:
    This requirement serves as a reliability measure that the student visa program is used as projected and not for a temporary stay in Australia.
  • Health and character:
    Applicants need to undergo health examinations as a part of the visa application process. This may consume quite a few weeks to complete. Also, the applicants are required to answer some character related questions that will be used to assess their character.
  • Overseas student health cover:
    Applicants are required to obtain Overseas Students Health Cover (OSHC) a week prior to the date they are supposed to arrive in Australia.


Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) Criterion for Student Visa (subclass 500)

Understanding the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) criterion is essential for those applying for the Australian Student Visa (subclass 500). This criterion assesses the applicant’s intention to stay temporarily in Australia for studies. Key factors include:

  • Home country circumstances.
  • Prospective situation in Australia.
  • Course relevance to future plans.
  • Immigration history.

Successfully meeting the GTE requirement is critical for obtaining the Student Visa. For comprehensive information, Please check our blog post: Genuine Temporary Entrant Requirement for Australian Student Visas


Compare & buy the best OSHC plan for Student Visa on


What you can do with this visa?

  • You can study full-time in a recognized institution in Australia.
  • You can bring your family members under limited circumstances
  • You and your family members will be given work rights depending on your course type.
  • Your partner (if found eligible) can also study in Australia for three months.


Know all about Student Visa


How Aussizz Group can be Your Ideal Companion to turn your dreams of Studying in Australia into reality?

Being one of the leading groups of Immigration and Student Visa Consultants, we at Aussizz Group have always provided professional and high quality services to the people seeking higher education or career in Australia. Being registered with MARA, our team never fails to stay updated with the rules and regulations of the Australian immigration and make sure you get the visa through accurate assessments.

Get in touch with us for any student visa-subclass 500 assistance. We assure you the best possible help.

Visa Subclass

The new student guardian visa (subclass 590) is created for the legal custodian or relative to accompany the visa holders if they are under 18 years of age.

Read More

FAQs About Student Visa (Subclass 500)