Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189)

Are you an international worker qualified with the most in-demand skills specific to the Australian economy? Do you aim to get permanent residency in Australia?

Apply for Skilled Independent Visas and get the opportunity to Work and be a Permanent Resident of this beautiful country!

Why Skilled Independent Visa?

The Skilled Independent (Subclass 189) is a point-based visa designed to select a certain set of overseas skilled people required in different states of Australia.

It allows skilled workers to move and live in Australia without the need of having a sponsorship of a family member or nomination by the state or territory government.

Benefits of Having a Skilled Independent Visa

  • Live, study or work in Australia for an indefinite period
  • Enrol in Medicare
  • Get eligible for Australian citizenship
  • Sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residency
  • Leave and re-enter Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted

Things to do before applying for the Visa

You are required to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and score at least 65 points in it, to get an invitation from the immigration department for applying the visa.

The points in EOI are awarded on different factors including:

  • Age
  • Education Qualification (Diploma / Degree / PHD)
  • Level of English
  • Work Experience
  • Single / Partner Skills
  • NAATI Accreditation
  • Professional Year

**Note: If you have completed a degree, diploma or trade qualification at an Australian educational institution, you can also be eligible for extra five points towards your EOI. However, there is certain criteria that must be met to claim those 5 points.

General Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for this visa, you must:

  • Age that is 45 years. It is the visa age limit
  • Nominate an occupation from Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
  • Be Proficient in At least Competent English
  • Have your skills assessed by the relevant assessing authority
  • Achieve the score specified in your visa application
  • Meet the health and character requirements

Health & Character Requirements

You and all the family members are required to:

  • Apply for the visa within 12 months of undergoing medical examinations
  • Police certificates from each country you lived in for 12 months in the last ten years (after you turned 16 years of age)

Evidence of English Language Ability

You must have achieved minimum scores in either of the following tests to show as an evidence of your competent English.

  • At least 50 in each of four test components in Pearson Test of English (PTE)

    At least 6 in each of four test components in International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
  • Or Equivalent Score in TOFEL iBT, OET & CAE

Debts to the Australian Government

You should be free from any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before the visa is granted.

Eligible Family Members

When lodging a visa application, you can include following family members in your visa application:

  • Your Partner or spouse
  • Your or your partner’s child/step child

Overwhelmed with the visa requirements or have concerns regarding Expression of Interest? Don’t worry as we have got your back! Get in touch with our team of MARA professionals and be sure of getting everything in place.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided here is only for general understanding and does not constitute legal advice. We recommend to check for updated information with the Department of Home Affairs at

Success stories straight from The Clients

We don't just brag that we "Deliver Excellence", but we really mean it! Our clients' testimonials are a perfect testament to this fact.
The number has now exceeded to 3912.Check out few of them here!

Welcome to Aussizz Group
Select Services