The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) 187 visa is a permanent residence visa for those international skilled workers, nominated by an Australian employer to work in regional Australia (excluding Gold Coast, Sydney, Melbourne, Newcastle, Wollongong and Brisbane).
The applicant can be in or outside Australia when applying for the RSMS visa, however, for the onshore application, it is necessary to have a substantive visa or a bridging visa A, B or C.
RSMS can be applied in the following streams:
The Temporary Residence Transition Stream:
If you are on a 457 visa, worked in Australia for at least 2 years (excluding period of unpaid leave) in the same occupation with the nominating employer and if that employer is looking to offer you a permanent position, you can apply for 186 visa under the temporary residence transition stream.
Please Note – No Skill Assessment is required under this stream. However, English level equivalent to IELTS 5 (each module) is required unless exempted. Additionally, any secondary applicant who are over 18 need to meet the Functional English ability (Overall score of IELTS 4.5 or equivalent) in last 12 months unless exempted
The Direct Entry Stream:
If you are eligible to be sponsored under the temporary residence transition stream but have a nomination from the regional employer for a permanent position, you can be eligible to apply under the direct entry stream.
Please Note –Skill Assessment is mandatory under this stream. However, English level equivalent to IELTS 6 (each module) is required. Additionally, any secondary applicant who are over 18 need to meet the Functional English ability (Overall IELTS 4.5 or equivalent) in last 12 months.
The Agreement Stream:
This stream is applicable to those who are sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement.
Note: From 19th April 2017, the CSOL (Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List) and the SOL (Skilled Occupation List) have been condensed and replaced by the STSOL (Short-Term Skilled Occupation List) and MLTSSL (Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List) respectively.
For STSOL, there is no separate list but a Combined List of Skilled Occupations (including the occupations from both STSOL and MTSSL).
Both STSOL and MTSSL are due to be revised on 1st July, 2017.
Hence, for 186 visa, the employer should nominate someone for the occupation that is either on STSOL or MLTSSL list.}
Benefits You Get on 187 visa:
Live, study and work in Australia for an indefinite period
- Enrol in Medicare to cover health care costs
- Apply for Australian citizenship on satisfying the criteria
- Sponsor other eligible relatives for permanent residence in Australia
- Visit Australia frequently for 5 years from the date visa is granted
Eligibility Criteria for Applicants
As an applicant, to be eligible for this visa, you must have:
- Age less than 50 years of age unless you are exempt from the age criteria
- Nomination by an Australian employer who is legally operating in Australia
- Applied for the visa within 6 months of getting a nomination
- Required skills and qualifications for the position
- Evidence of English Language proficiency unless you are exempt
- Met health and character requirements
- Fulfilled the criteria of the stream you applied
From 1st July 2017, the applicants with 45 years of age or less will be considered eligible for Direct Entry stream.
From March 2018, the maximum age requirement for all the applicants of 186 visa will be 45 years or less. Also, when applying under the Temporary Residence Transition Stream, it is mandatory to have at least three years of relevant work experience.
Eligibility Criteria for Nominating Employers
To be an eligible nominating employer for this visa:
- You must be operating lawfully in regional Australia
- You must have met the training benchmark (A or B) requirements (1 % or 2 %)
- You must have a genuine requirement to fill a skilled position for full time at least for 2 years
- You must have complied with Australian immigration and workplace laws
- You must pay as per industry standards
- You must have met the criteria of stream under which you are nominating ( i.e. Temporary Residence Transition, Direct Entry or Agreement)
- There should not be any contradictory information identified about you or your business
English Language Requirements
- You must have at least vocational English and completed five years of full-time study in a secondary or higher institution, if you are applying under the Temporary Residence Transition Stream.
- You must have at least competent English if you are applying under the Direct Entry Stream.
Health & Character Requirements
You and all the family members included in the application must provide:
- Certificates of medical examinations undergone within 12 months of lodging the visa application
- Police certificates from each country you lived in for 12 months in the last ten years (after you turned 16 years of age)
Eligible Family Members
You can include following members in your visa application:
- Your Partner/Spouse
- Your or your partner’s child/step child
For more information on 187 visa or to know your eligibility ratio, contact Aussizz Group today!