Do you want to live and work in designated regional areas of Australia? Aspiring to extend your stay for five years?
Apply for Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) - subclass 491 visa that was introduced by Australia recently!
Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) - subclass 491 is a Provisional Visa. It enables eligible professionals and their family members to live, study and work in the designated regional areas of Australia for 5 years. The validity of the visa is 5 years. However, visa holders may be eligible to apply for a Permanent Residence visa which is Subclass 191 after 3 years, provided they fulfil all the requirements.
To be eligible for the visa, you must be -
- Nominated by a state/territory government or be sponsored by an eligible relative in a designated regional area
Designated regional areas are Perth, Adelaide, Canberra, Gold Coast and Hobart. Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne do not fall in the list.
Like any other General Skilled Migration Visa, Subclass 491 Visa Application is also based on point test. Generally, these points are based on visa applicant’s age, qualification, overseas and Australian work experience, English and Australian study. However, there has been a revision of point-system for all the Skilled Migration Visas and additional points can be gained under following categories.
- 15 points for applicants nominated by a State or Territory government or sponsored by a family member residing in regional Australia.
- 10 Points for Skilled Spouse or De Facto Partner
- 10 Points the applicant does not have a spouse or de facto partner or the applicant has a spouse or de facto partner who is an Australian permanent resident or an Australian citizen
- 5 points for applicants with a spouse or de facto partner who has competent English and is not permanent resident or Australian citizen
- 10 Points for certain Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) qualifications
For invitation purposes, you are awarded a ranking in case you are a -
- Visa applicant who has a skilled partner or those who do not have a partner
- Those applicants whose partners can show proofs of Competent English
- Partners of those applicants who are unable to provide proofs of competent English or skilled
If you are a 491 visa holder, you cannot apply for other visas that are part of the General Skilled Migration program.
Subclass 491 visa is for five years, however, you can apply for PR SC 191 visa provided you meet the criteria.
Subclass 191 can be applied after meeting conditions such as:
- Live, study or work in a regional area for 3 years while you are holding a 491 visa
- Show annual salary of at least $53,900 for 3 years