It is a special health insurance coverage designed for international students that helps minimise health care costs while studying in Australia.
- Ambulance Services
- Limited Pharmaceuticals
- Day surgery accommodation
- Accommodation in public hospital
- Some prosthetic devices
- Full Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) fee for in-patient medical services and benefit amount for out-of-hospital medical services
- Treatment before arriving to Australia
- Treatment while traveling to or from Australia
- Transportation in and out of Australia for any reason
- Treatment covered under reimbursement and damage provisions
OSHC can either be purchased by your education provider or you can choose your own insurance provider. Currently, there are five insurers offering OSHC, they are:
It is mandatory for international students to purchase their health insurance prior applying for a visa. If you do not hold a valid OSHC, it may lead to cancellation of your student visa.