Temporary Skill Shortage Visa (Subclass 482)

Australia Department of Home Affairs introduced this new visa in replacement of the 457 Visa.

The Temporary Skill Shortage Visa Subclass 482 aims to address the shortage of the skilled workers for the employers who are unable to source the suitable talent amongst Australians by allowing recruitment of overseas pool of talent. In the process, it makes sure that the Australian workers are first preference.

Enquire Now

To become eligible for this visa, you must

  • Be sponsored by an approved business
  • The nomination must be under an approved occupation

You can lodge this visa from Australia or outside of Australia.

You can work in Australia on this visa under any of the below streams

  • The Short-Term stream
  • The Medium-Term stream
  • Labour Agreement stream

The three-step application process is

Temporary Skill Shortage Visa

You can travel in and out of Australia on this visa and your family member can work and study in Australia for the duration of this visa.

Short-Term Stream

You can be eligible to apply under this visa stream, if you have an approved business sponsor you in an occupation listed on the Short-term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL).

However, applicants are only allowed to hold one temporary visa as a primary applicant.


This visa allows you to work in Australia on a position for

  • Two years
  • Four years (in case of International Trade Obligation, if applicable)

The cost of this visa is AUD1150
The visa under this stream can be renewed only once while you are in Australia.

Medium-Term Stream

If there is an employer willing to sponsor in an occupation listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) or the Regional Occupation List (ROL).

This visa allows you to work in Australia for up to four years.
The visa costs AUD2400
You can apply for this visa unlimited times.

Labour Agreement Stream

If an Australian employer has a labour agreement with the Department of Home Affairs and wants to sponsor you then you can be eligible to apply under this stream.

Eligibility Criteria For The Applicant

You must meet certain set criteria to be eligible for this visa under any stream, which are that you must

  • Have a minimum of 2-years work experience in the occupation selected
  • Hold a sanctioned nomination by an approved sponsor
  • Have completed any skills assessment/ Qualification requisites
  • Hold a valid English language proficiency proof fulfilling the minimum language criteria
  • Have a valid functional visa, a subclass 010 (Bridging A) visa, a subclass 020 (Bridging B) visa or a Subclass 030 (Bridging C) visa, if you are in Australia at the time of lodging the application
  • Meet any other requirements or conditions that applies to your visa application.
  • Fulfil the conditions for health and character
  • Fulfil the specific requirements of the individual stream

For the Short-term stream, you will have to fulfil the Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement.

Eligibility Criteria For The Nominating Employers

If you are an employer, then to be able to sponsor an overseas applicant to fill any skilled position, you must

  • Be a legally operating business in Australia
  • Have a standard business sponsorship
  • Pay the sponsorship fees is AUD420

The sponsorship will be valid for a period of five years from the date of its approval.

You can nominate your employee for an eligible occupation in the list of eligible skilled occupation i.e the MLTSSL or STSOL and you must

  • Submit a valid employment contract
  • Pay the salary equivalent to or more than Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold (TSMIT) for the respective occupation
  • Specify the location and period of the job in the nomination
  • Give the evidence of Labour Market Testing (where required)
  • Pay the fees of AUD330


English Language Requirements

English language requirement for the short-term stream is of 5 Bands or equivalent overall with no less than 4.5 in each module and for the medium-term stream is of 5 Bands or equivalent overall with no less than 5.0 in each module.

Health And Character Requirements

You along with your family members included in your application must

  • fulfil the requirement of heath by providing the valid medical certificates obtain within 12 months of application lodgement.
  • Satisfy the character requirement by submitting the police clearance certificate


Compare & buy the best OVHC plan for 482 Visa on Getmypolicy.online


Including Family Members In Your Application

You can include your spouse and your/ your spouse’s child/ step child

Applying for any visa requires great deal of attentiveness. Your application might be subject to many conditions. To make sure you do not face any hurdles in your application and the visa process, consider seeking the advice of our Registered Migration Agents who have been working closely with the Australian migration laws since past many years and have handle the most critical of cases including the tribunal appeals.

Also, we have compared the short-term and long-term streams and provided a detail synopsis of the visa and its effect which you can check out in this complete guide of TSS Visa.

A professional assistance will increase the chances of your successful visa approval. At Aussizz Group, we take pride in demonstrating highest level of professionalism. Reach out to us today and get started with your application process. (Open Inquiry Form on get started with your application process)

FAQs About Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Visa (Subclass 482)

The Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Visa (Subclass 482) is a temporary work visa that allows skilled workers to work in Australia for an approved employer for up to four years. It is designed to address skill shortages in the Australian labor market.

The TSS Visa has two main streams: the Short-Term stream and the Medium-Term stream. The Short-Term stream allows workers to stay for up to two years, while the Medium-Term stream allows workers to stay for up to four years.

To be eligible for the TSS Visa, you must have a sponsoring employer in Australia. Your employer must be an approved sponsor and nominate you for a position that matches your skills and qualifications.

The eligibility requirements for the TSS Visa include having the required skills and qualifications for the nominated occupation, meeting English language requirements, having an approved employer sponsor, and meeting health and character requirements.

The need for a skills assessment depends on your nominated occupation and the requirements set by the relevant skills assessing authority in Australia. Some occupations may require a skills assessment before applying for the TSS Visa.

Yes, you can include certain family members in your TSS Visa application, such as your spouse or de facto partner and dependent children. They will have the same work and study rights as you during your stay in Australia.

In some cases, it is possible to switch to the TSS Visa from another visa while in Australia. However, eligibility criteria and requirements apply, and you should consult with the Department of Home Affairs or a registered migration agent for guidance.

There is no specific age limit for the TSS Visa (Subclass 482). However, applicants over 45 years old may face additional scrutiny regarding their health insurance requirements.

Yes, you can add family members to your TSS Visa application at a later date by lodging a subsequent visa application for them. This can be done as long as you continue to meet the relevant visa requirements.

Yes, the TSS Visa (Subclass 482) can provide a pathway to permanent residency through the Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa (subclass 186) or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa (subclass 187) if certain conditions are met.

Yes, you can change employers while holding a TSS Visa (Subclass 482). However, your new employer must become an approved sponsor and lodge a new nomination for your position. You should also notify the Department of Home Affairs of the change.

The Visa Application Charge for the TSS Visa can vary depending on the stream (Short-Term or Medium-Term) and the applicant’s circumstances. The cost will be specified on the Department of Home Affairs website.