International Education can enhance an individual’s career exponentially. While there are many different fields to opt, there is one career that is on the rise in Australia which is that of the Quantity Surveyor and it is related to the field of construction.
Australia offers top quality education with industry oriented practical exposure as a part of course curriculum. Based on such valuable learning that it offers, it attracts large number of international students. This profession, however, is not so well-known amongst the folks hailing from outside the land down under. But, there are Quantity Surveyor Courses offered by reputed Australian educational institutes that one can opt.
This blog answers all the questions that uncover the occupation of Quantity Surveyor in detail.
- Who is a quantity surveyor?
- How much are quantity surveyors earning?
- What qualification will I need to become a quantity surveyor?
- What is the scenario regarding the demand for this field in Australia? What are the possible migration outcome and job outcomes?
- Is there a possible PR option after studying this course?
- Can I study this course at a Masters level without holding relevant Bachelors in this field?
- I am interested in this new career and eager to start? Where can I study and when is the next intake?
1. Who is a quantity surveyor?
A Quantity Surveyor is a qualified professional who specialises in managing complete costs (from start to final calculations) related to the building and civil engineering projects measurement and estimating the value of construction costs. A qualified professional will be working for the lucrative construction industry providing key inputs on Building Cost evaluation and management process.
2. How much are quantity surveyors earning?
They earn an average salary of AU$74,648 per year. As professionals build their project management skills, wages rise to up to AU $110,000 per year
3. What qualification will I need to become a quantity surveyor?
A Bachelors or Masters level qualification in an appropriate field of construction management is needed. Some of the examples of qualifying degrees are as below
- Bachelor of Construction Management
- Bachelor of Construction Management and Economics
- Master of Construction Practice (Professional)
For any student, looking to apply for Permanent Residency Visa for Australia, it is advised to opt for courses accredited by AIQS (Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors) to ensure a positive skill assessment.
4. What is the scenario regarding the demand for this field in Australia? What are the possible migration outcome and job prospects?
There is obviously an enormous demand in Australia and a skill shortage with not enough students taking up this field. This also reflects in the occupation ceiling. A total of 1000 occupation ceilings have been allocated for applicants for migration programme year 2017 and so far only 18 have been filled. This trend is expected to continue until we see more graduates taking up this field of study. So far, awareness around this field of study is less among the international students.
|Initial salary||$63,500 P/A|
|Senior salary||$110,000 P/A|
|Average salary||$75000 P/A|
The top three regions for employment as a Quantity Surveyor include:
|New South Wales (NSW)||27.0%|
5. Is there a possible PR option after studying this course?
Yes. Students can secure a positive skill assessment from AIQS upon completion of one of their accredited courses. Since the occupation is on the Skilled Occupation list i.e MLTSSL, one can meet the requirements for Permanent residency (189) with 60 points. You need not be sponsored by any state or regional area.
6. Can I study this course at a Masters level without holding relevant Bachelors in this field?
Students can certainly opt for this course at a Masters level too. The non-graduate entry allows students from any discipline to become a Quantity Surveyor after completing a Masters level course. You will require an IELTS score of overall 6.5 with no bands less than 6.0 or even PTE equivalent is accepted for entry into the course.
7. I am interested in this new career and eager to start? Where can I study and when is the next intake?
Many universities offer Construction management courses at a Bachelors level and Masters Level Australia wide. The earliest intake for this course is in Jan 2018. So what are you waiting for!!! For more info on quantity surveyor Courses and to make an application.
Quantity Surveying in the public sector has high importance. Due to which the pay is lucrative. Quantity Surveyors are regarded as construction industry professionals. If you are looking to make your career in that industry, then going for a specialised course is sure to yield fruitful results. As the occupation is in the MLTSSL, there are good chances for the international students to get Permanent Residency in Australia post completion of the suitable academic course.
At Aussizz Group, our education counsellor work diligently to provide all round solution for every aspiring student. They have developed expertise and supported numerous students choose the right course, suitable institute and even assisted entirely with the Student Visa for Australia. You, too, can get in touch with our counsellors at any of our branches to know more about the Quantity Surveyor occupation and pathway courses to it. If you prefer that we contact you, then fill your details in the inquiry form and one of our education consultant will get back to you.